COMMUNAL X PLATFORM B Playlists: Past Sounds
Curated by Platform B Producer & Presenter Elsa/Mette
“I wanted to think about being held. These past sounds become the things you pass by day to day and hold onto for perhaps two minutes. Sweet Honey In The Rock asks us to listen more often to things than to beings, Dorothy Ashby’s Nabu calling to the Babylonian God of wisdom, growth, and agriculture as Le Guin asks us to “…gather seeds, roots, sprouts, shoots, leaves, nuts, berries, fruits and grains…”. In collecting and harvesting, we are bringing ourselves back together. Poetry tells us that A medal or award should be given to these heroes for their / Emphasis of revealing and bringing forth the feeling. We won’t be quiet as we listen to the ascent of the Hero. We are passing on, and holding on, indefinitely.” Elsa/Mette, Platform B Producer & Presenter
- Life’s Gone Down Low – Lijadu Sisters (second cousins to Fela Kuti and identical twin sisters from Nigeria)
- So Gone – Monica
- I Am In Love – Jennifer Lara
- Poetry – The RH Factor, Q-Tip, Erykah Badu
- Ear-Responsible [Bonus] – Angie Stone
- Uknowhowwedu – Bahamadia
- Hello – Erykah Badu
- Abbeylude (Interlude) – Les Nubians (sisters Hélène and Célia Faussart from Paris)
- Nabu Corfa – Dorothy Ashby
- Breaths – Sweet Honey In The Rock
Brighton CCA are working in partnership with Platform B Radio to bring you three playlists across the COMMUNAL programme.
Next up, Current Sounds.
Image: Lijadu Sisters